Wednesday 12 May 2010

Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes(2006)

This time we are in North America, and I mean North America. Our band comes from Saskatchewan, Canada. We've got ourselves a very different genre here, like Blood Stain Child perhaps, but nothing like that band. I can call this band a mix of Dream Theater and Soilwork. Yes you heard me right, Dream Theater and Soilwork together.

Being not much of a progressive fan myself, I decided to give it a one more shot, after listening to Insomnium so many times. Apparently not being able to keep up with the song is a major turn-off, unless the band does it good. Opeth does it brilliantly, so does Insomnium. But switching a thousand times the type of vocals in a song, along with drum tempos and guitar tones, it kinda gets boring. Then again, a progressive fan will really enjoy this album, because I believe we have some good clean vocals here. There is also a usage of screams, but not that you can find in Scandinavia, where 20 year olds scream like blowing your ears off with rage.

Basically the songs are much alike, start with a fast tempo, enter screams, then change to a Dream Theater-ish riffs and tones, start clean vocals, then harsh riffs with clean vocals in choruses.Sometimes these elements come in reversed order, starting with Dream Theater-ish start, then convert to death metal, such as in "Suspension of Disbelief". Even the clean vocals sound very much like James Labrie.

As I said before, not being a progressive fan made me not very pleased with the album itself, but I'm sure if you have a Dream Theater taste, and are okay with scream vocals, I believe you may like this group, even love it, because they are not bad at what they are doing.

Song List:
1- Novus Inceptum
2- Severe Emotional Darkness
3- Nothing
4- Timeless Winter
5- Out
6- A Past Beyond Memory
7- Surrounded by Night
8- Eternal
9- Pain Through Breathing
10-Suspension of Disbelief
11- Paralyzed

No comments:

Post a Comment